Digital Marketer & Founder at Powered by Search, a Profit Hot 50 & Branham 300 ranked SEO & Inbound Marketing Agency.
- Toronto, Canada Area
Join LinkedIn & access Dev’s full profile
Powered by Search
President & CEO
Published by DevSee more
- May 20, 2015
- April 6, 2015
- April 6, 2015
I help companies double or triple how fast they grow through better marketing. Over the last 10 years, I've consulted for some of the world's largest brands, accelerating their digital marketing performance while generating millions of dollars of value for them.
Since 2009, I've grown the Powered by Search, the agency I founded out of my condo's solarium, into a multi-million dollar digital marketing agency, recognized as one of Canada's top growth companies in the PROFIT Hot50 and on the Branham300 awards. We work with clients like FedEx, RE/MAX, BMO, Allstate, Whirlpool as well as funded startups.
I'm a polymath who wears many hats - CEO, author, professor, public speaker, startup advisor, investor, amateur chef, and travel hacker. I'm passionate about lifestyle design, productivity, and feel the most alive when I travel and experience new cultures. I tend to be really good at focusing on the 80/20 rule in everything I do, opting for minimalism. I strive to do "less but better" and instill the same focus in my team, partners, and clients. I love to deconstruct excellence, eliminate the trivial, automate repetitive tasks, and liberate companies and their people to do what allows them to have their highest level of contribution.
You’ll find it valuable to connect with me if you need subject matter expertise on the following:
Enterprise Multi-Channel Paid Search
Enterprise Google Analytics
Technical Search Engine Optimization
Multi-Location Local SEO
Personalization and Usability Strategy
Scalable Content Marketing Strategy
Startup User Acquisition Strategy
Complex Marketing Automation
A couple of things about working with me:
- I get things done. I care about execution.
- I will tell you what you need to hear, not what you want to hear.
- I will go out of my way to help you achieve your goals.
- I like to talk about cars. Fast cars.
Looking forward to connecting with you, talking shop, and debating which german sports car is better.
Specialties:* Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
* Social Media Marketing (SMM)
* Social Media Optimization (SMO)
* Website Analytics and Tracking ( Google Analytics, HitWise, ClickTracks, Omniture, Webmetrix, and ComScore)
* Usability Testing
* Competitive Market Research and Analysis
* Viral Marketing through Video and Social Networks
* Online Reputation Management
* Customer/Partner Relationship Management
* Small Business Marketing
* Strategic Project Planning
* Marketing & Communications
Powered by Search is Canada's digital marketing agency of choice, with proven ability to qualify, capture, and convert the highest-value online traffic into new sales for your business. We blend our organic search, paid search, local search, and conversion rate optimization expertise for clients with closed-loop analytics that aligns marketing activities with sales growth.
Powered by Search has grown to service over 100+ clients in 9 countries and 3 continents, and has been named one of Canada's fastest growing companies by PROFIT Magazine. Our agency is accredited as a Google AdWords Certified Partner, Better Business Bureau member, and Google Engage for Agencies member. We have been featured in the Globe & Mail, Financial Post, Toronto Star and CTV. Our client list includes FedEx USA, RE/MAX, Whirlpool, Intercontinental Hotels & Resorts, Toyota, Public Storage, Primus, and other brands of all sizes.
As CEO, I manage our business development strategy, strategic partnerships, and act as a lead consultant for our client base ranging from the Fortune 500 to small and medium businesses. I also speak at conferences and industry trade shows, and educate students on the topic of internet marketing at Canadian colleges and universities.
I'm teaching the Search Engine Strategies (SMD103) at Seneca College this fall. Students can expect to learn Search Engine Marketing (SEM), including Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and Pay-Per-Click (PPC) as part of an integrated marketing communications strategy. This subject will look at the purpose of a search engine, how SEO can help organizations improve search engine rankings, PPC tools and techniques.
My overall responsibility was to lead up, manage and grow the online marketing arm of Canada's leading interactive and print Yellow Pages agency, Publipage. Our clients ranged from Fortune 500 accounts and national enterprises, to local SMB's and SME's.
Broadly, I was responsible for:
* Brand Development & Outreach
* Department Management (P&L)
* Business Development
* Client Relations
* Technical SEO Strategy
* Hiring and Personnel Management
* 3rd Party Vendor and Partner Management
* Short Term and Long Term Growth Strategies
Dev Basu Search Marketing offers Online Marketing solutions to SMB's and Local Businesses in Canada, USA and the UK. We specialize in customized Search Marketing solutions including
*Search Engine Optimization
*Social Media Marketing
*Business Blog Setup and Marketing
*Local Search Engine Optimization
Specialized services include:
*Business Social Media
*Online Reputation Management
*Web Analytics Tracking and Reporting
At Search Engine People, I worked with Fortune 1000 Clients to identify, plan, strategize, and execute on their Search Marketing objectives. In total, I managed the SEO and Social Media responsibilities for 18 brands including the Discovery Channel, MTV Canada, Canadian Management Centre, and belairdirect Insurance.
* Search Engine Optimization
* Social Media Marketing
* Viral & Guerrilla Marketing
* Website & SEO Consultancy
* Link Building Strategies
* On-page and Off-Page Optimization
* SEO Site Audit and Analysis
* Web Analytics Tracking and Trending
At OANDA, I managed all inclusive search marketing strategies, across 5 main web properties, and multiple sub-sites. Responsibilities include:
* Planning, executing, and measuring all search marketing tactics
* Providing SEO, SMM, Usability training to key stakeholders.
* Liasing with key stakeholders to enhance traditional marketing by using online marketing as a medium.
* Web Analytics and Reporting
* Gain competitive intelligence to leverage SEO benefits.
* Creating link building best practices and strategies.
OANDA uses innovative computer and financial technology to provide Internet-based forex trading and currency information services to everyone, from individuals to large corporations, from portfolio managers to financial institutions.
Recently, OANDA has been voted #10 among the Silicon Alley Insider's Top 25 Most Valuable Digital Startups in the world.
* Marketing planning and execution for accounts such as Dell, HP, MDG and 4000 System Builder breadth accounts (MS Teaming Excellence Award)
* Assisted in managing and forecasting 7 figure marketing budget for fiscal year
* Assisted in Business strategy development with respect to market segmentation and year-over-year growth with OEM Business Development Manager
* Web marketing strategy deployment and management for over 10,000 unique visitors across Canada (MS Worldwide Outstanding Contributor Award 2007)
* Managed a Web Vendor team comprising a programmer and site manager
* Customer and Partner Experience nSAT (satisfaction) management.
(Received Microsoft Customer Partner Experience Excellence Award)
* Product execution support for Windows Vista, 2007 Office, and ST (Server Tools) including Microsoft Exchange 2007.
* License Compliance support and perception
Volunteer Experience & Causes
Opportunities Dev is looking for:
- Joining a nonprofit board
- Skills-based volunteering (pro bono consulting)
Causes Dev cares about:
- Human Rights
Organizations Dev supports:
Honors & Awards
2013 Search Engine Ranking Factors Contributor
Powered by Search was selected among a global panel of 120 SEO experts to contribute to the industry's leading study on organic search engine ranking factors.
2008-2013 Local Search Ranking Factors Contributor
David Mihm Inc.
Powered by Search was selected among a global panel of 33 Local SEO experts to participate in the industry's most authoritative study on local search ranking factors.
2011 Search Engine Ranking Factors Contributor
Powered by Search was selected among a global panel of 132 SEO experts to contribute to the industry's leading study on organic search engine ranking factors.
* Deloitte Impact Infused Award
* 2009-2012 Local Search Ranking Factors Contributor
* Microsoft WorldWide System Builder Marketing Web Strategy Award
* Outstanding Contributor and OEM Rockstar - 2006-2007
* Microsoft Canada Company Teaming Excellence Award 2007
* Microsoft Canada Customer Partner Experience (CPE) Excellence Award 2006
Globe & MailJanuary 2015
I'm a minimalist and productivity hacker. I was interviewed by the Globe & Mail about how I maximize effective work and do the same for my team.
The Globe and MailJune 2011
Looking for ways to get started on your path to success with this technique? Here are three best practices to employ.
Dev Basu, 24, the president of Powered by Search, is photographed in his Toronto office on October 23, 2012. He started his own company three years ago and now has a staff of ten.
The Globe & MailDecember 2011
On Oct. 20, 2011, the team from Report on Small Business invited dozens of enterprising owners to attend a networking event. We took photos and videos as a way to introduce our audience to these up-and-comers, all of whom have big ideas and grand ambitions.
The Financial PostNovember 2011
Sprouter Expert, Dev Basu, answers questions about Internet Marketing and Search Engine Optimization.
EnglishNative or bilingual proficiency
FrenchLimited working proficiency
- Social Media Marketing
- Local Marketing
- Local Search
- Web Analytics
- Landing Page...
- Google Adwords
- Google Analytics
- Google Webmaster Tools
- Google Maps
- Client Acquisition
- Inside Sales
- Enterprise Search
- Website Promotion
- UI testing
- Usability Design
- SEO copywriting
- Conversion Optimization
- Online Reputation...
- Online Marketing
- Digital Marketing
- Social Media
- Link Building
- Organic Search
- Keyword Analysis
- Online Advertising
- SEO Toronto
- Web Marketing
- Content Strategy
- Search Analysis
- Usability Testing
- Digital Strategy
- Usability Engineering
- Marketing Strategy
- Customer Acquisition
- Email Marketing
- Strategic Partnerships
- Viral Marketing
- Web 2.0
- Keyword Research
- See 35+ See less
Google Adword Certified Partner
Google Inc., License 09205320623177344235
BBB Accredited Business
Better Business Bureau
* Business Development Manager (MESA) - Corporate Partner Relations, Philanthropic Governance, Sponsorship Acquisition
* Updated course curriculum regarding SEO for a 4th year 'Marketing in the Information Age' course.
Activities and Societies: Business Development Manager - Management & Economics Students' Association (MESA)
- Strategic Planning
- Sales Management
- Business Intelligence Applications
- IT Development
- Web 2.0 Content Creation
- Amateur Guitarist
- Victorian Architecture
- European History
- See 2+ See less
Search by name
Over 300 million professionals are already on LinkedIn. Find who you know.